The Best Lactation Cookie Recipe


 We've successfully breastfed for 4 months, more than halfway to our goal of at least 6 months, but not without our fair share of struggles along the way - clogged ducts, nursing strikes, and decrease in milk supply to name a few. While scrolling Instagram, I came across a company that sells lactation cookies which are supposed to increase your milk supply. I have heard of supplements, teas, and oatmeal aiding in increasing milk supply, but I had never heard of cookies working. I immediately went to their website (because who doesn't love cookies?) and what I found was disappointing.


I found their cookies to be overpriced and they recommended eating at least 3 cookies per day. Yikes! Since I couldn't justify spending $2+ on one single cookie, no matter the results, I found a recipe online and tweaked it to fit my needs. The first night I ate these cookies, I saw an increase of one and a half ounces on each side! I've been eating these cookies for almost a month now and my supply is back to where it was before, if not surpassed that. I mean, come on, that's amazing!


 These cookies are so soft and fluffy and you can't even taste the brewer's yeast and flaxseed meal. Another plus for these magic cookies? My (non-lactating) hubby loves them too!

The Best Lactation Cookies

Yields 2 dozen cookies.

Ingredients

3 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter (I use unsalted)
2 eggs
2 cups flour
4 tablespoons brewer's yeast
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Mix flaxseed meal and water. Set aside for 3-5 minutes.
3. Cream butter and brown sugar.
4. Add eggs one at a time to butter mixture.
5. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to butter mixture.
6. Mix remaining dry ingredients, except oats and chips, and add to butter mixture.
7. Mix in oats then chips.
8. Scoop onto ungreased baking sheet.
9. Bake 10-15 minutes.


Disclaimer: Though I saw an increase in my milk supply after consuming these cookies, results may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment